Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pretty Random

This blog post is going to be pretty random, and hopefully it doesn't come out too weird. I'm writing it when I should be in bed, at 1: 45 a.m. I was looking at pictures today from the harvest party at my church and this one stuck out to me.



The reason it hit me at first is because I don't know the guy in this picture. My church is the type of place where everyone pretty much knows everyone. And I try to make a point to know everyone, it's just part of my personality. I figured he's probably new to church, and something in me wanted to know who he is. So I emailed my friend, Mildred, and asked her. Unfortunately she couldn't see the picture, so I had to describe him. She told me his name, it's Ralph, that he used to be a Latin King, and that he's a nice kid. The term Latin King might not mean anything anything to my loyal readers, so I'll tell you what that means. Latin Kings is the name of a gang, not just any gang, but it's said to be the largest Hispanic gang in the U.S. So this kid is an ex-gang member. Here's a picture of an ex-gang member at a church party, smiling while he paints kids faces. To me, it's a portrait of the power of redemption by the blood of Christ. Ralph is not any worse than me. The sins he's committed are not any greater than mine. And the redemption he has experienced is not any more powerful than what I experience. But still this picture moves me.

I don't know if he'd ever find out that I wrote this, but I hope he's ok with me posting a picture of him for all the world to see...or at least for the 2 of you who read my blog. I'm looking forward to meeting Ralph when I get home...in just a few short weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Dave and I read your blog and some various family members do too! Your blogs are a blessing to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'ze funny. you ARE a need-to-know person. if i need to find somedin out...i know who i'm gonna ask.

    a picture is worth a 1000 words....with some history and facts...a picture say a lot to one's mind and spirit. :-)

    by the way, pray for me - i'm strugglin with stupid stuff. stuff i've had victory over before...

    mucho hugs, rach

    ReplyDelete